Monday, March 19, 2012

Hot Pink Spray Paint - Check

I'm ready to vandalize some cars.  Cadillac Ranch is the third of thirteen planned stops on my westward journey to my new home base of San Francisco.  When I learned of this magical land where erect cars shine in multicolored splendor toward the heavens, I couldn't wait to see it.  Plus, it's going to be really fun unleashing some fluorescent pink spray paint on the rusted beauties.      

It's true that many of my adventures have been abroad.  I've wandered wide-eyed through the red light district of Amsterdam.  I've been fined in Prague for inadequate public train fare.  I've gotten trapped in the French subway (lights out, doors locked and everything).  I've used my sock as toilet paper in Austria, been robbed in Costa Rica, been peed on by a one legged drunkard on a bus in Ecuador, gotten engaged on a rooftop in Chile, gotten lost at night in the Grande Bazaar in Turkey, single handedly stopped a train in the middle of the Greek countryside, jumped off of a bridge in New Zealand and climbed a mountain in my bare feet in Canada.  All of these adventures have one thing in common, none of them were right here in my home country.  The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of excitement and adventure is hopping a plane and zipping off to a foreign, non-English speaking land.  Although I love traveling abroad, there is something beautiful and natural about the thought of exploring my homeland.  What adventures await me?  I do know one thing for sure, I will be vandalizing some cars in Texas.  Yee-haw!            

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget how many miles you hiked on the AT (some with crazy me...)

    I hear the Cadillac Ranch is a cool place to stop and paint and it even comes with a wild man that keeps an eye on it.

    Have fun, I'll enjoy your journey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I ever forget my AT experience? Bear scare 2006 still sits in my mind as one of the scariest moments of my life. The spaghetti incident and huddling under an overturned sign in a freezing rain storm while warming up with some Ramen is up there too. Hitching to town for resupply, cake icing stomach upset, the blowout at Standing Bear, the ten degree night atop Blue Mountain with the orphaned bear cub, the Shaggy song you played over and over, four mile lazy days, the period bed, exercising haunted hostels, and, shelter mice babies in the TP. That trip was life changing for me. I could never forget the madness that we encountered or the great times that we shared. I think we started around this date six years ago. Reminiscing has caused me to long for the simpler way of life that the trail invites. That desire for simplicity will be fulfilled as soon as I embark on this next adventure.

      Delete