Monday, March 19, 2012

"Are you doing this alone?!!"


Yes, I am doing this alone and I prefer it actually.  It's always very interesting to me when I explain my upcoming adventure to someone and they respond, "who's going with you?"  What I need to recognize is that my response, "just me", is probably equally interesting but also very foreign to them.  In our society of abundance we seem to fill our lives to the brim with stuff, not just an abundance of things but an abundance of people.  We fill our lives with tons of stuff because we are not valued by what we are but by what we have.  My solo adventures have been the greatest experiences of my life mostly because it forces me to step outside of my comfort zone and, society forbid, talk to strangers, make eye contact with people, sit down and dine alone.  Alone.  I know that can be a scary word.  On my first solo adventure I realized that I was scared to be alone because I had never really been alone before.  My second realization after spending time with myself was that I didn't really like myself very much.  How could I like myself?  I didn't know myself at all.  I had never spent any substantial amount of time alone, getting to know what I was all about.  Recognizing the fact that I had never really been alone was my first step outside of my comfort zone.  I loved it.  Now, when I have an opportunity to step outside of that comfort zone I jump at the opportunity.  Now, when I spend time alone, I realize that I like being alone.  Most importantly, I know myself and I like who I am. 

Before you write off doing something because there is no one to do it with, ask yourself "why am I scared to be alone?"  Being alone is not so bad.  When you open yourself up to new people and new experiences you are never really alone.  You are just taking a step outside of your comfort zone and that is where the greatest adventures begin.  

"True beauty is achieved when you shed the shackles of society, step outside of your comfort zone and share your light with the world."  -Melanie Heurich
    



No comments:

Post a Comment